Wild Cooley Mallard
1 Mallard (A drake will provide more meat than a hen)
1 small onion
3 cloves of garlic
Salt and Pepper
This is a very simple recipe
- Half the onion, squash the cloves of garlic, place them and the bay leaves inside the cavity of the duck, one of the cloves of garlic can be place in the neck end.
- Season the skin of the duck with salt and pepper and then rub some nice local honey all over the bird. Pierce the skin of the duck a number of times with a fork (this releases the fat from under the skin and helps to give a nice crispy texture and mix with the salt, pepper and honey to give a delicious flavour.)
- Place the duck in an oven dish and put the thyme on either side of the breasts.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and roast the duck for 35 mins.
- When it is cooked take it out of the oven, cover it with kitchen foil and leave to rest for 15mins before serving.
- Job done, now enjoy.
This can be served with mash potatoes or rice and some seasonal veg.